LL Aktuell

LL Aktuell
Geschichten und andere Geschichten

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Travelling home for the last time

Alas, once again it’s true: finish on a high note, get out while it is best, when you enjoy it the most as my mum used to say. I really did that on my last day of work.
Or it was the other way round: Leaving made my work best definitely. 
For weeks I’ve been walking on razorblades at work, and once the plan to leave is ripe: goodbye became so bittersweet.

What shall I say? Pictures describe it better. Fun, happy, crazy people, inspiring me to be my best fun, happy, crazy self. Woah, will I miss these people. 

You know how things always seem sweeter when you say goodbye? Even if this was true: that must have been very sweet to start with. 

I met incredible people there. 
One woman I met who is very warm-hearted. She gave me the feeling of being naturally loved and save and sound - like a walking feeling of home, she is. I am not gonna leave her behind, believe me. 
That is basically the most important thing about her, I could mention that she was a fellow Bryan Adams fan. And loves to travel. And binge-watch series. And stuff. But the most important thing is her warm-heartedness. And maybe the fact she once traveled with one of Bryan Adams tours. I always knew there were these people, I just haven’t met one before in my daily life. It is so cool and inspiring, that people not only dream about something they want to do, but actually do stuff! And she is one of them!

Then so many kind people - three gentlemen who are a little older (oh, would they be uproaring against the term elderly, and they are not what the English word means, I’m searching for the similar German meaning - you know, in the fifties with grown kids already) with perfect father-figure qualities, making fun of crazy youngsters, laughing with us, and apart from that having soothing words of wisdom, and were all exceptionally well mannered and charming. They were really the back-bone of the group. 
One of them was „fellow food enthusiast and tea lover“. I revel in his joy whenever he eats something good. I think him talking about that pork steak in the hotel can make me laugh even in the worst of times. And he introduced me to pu-erh-tea which I wouldn’t have chosen elsewise, but - to use his words - „was so good!“ imagine please me saying that with my eyes wide open and a long-spread gooood. Then you got an impression of him. 

One tiny woman with only a first name. Who took always pictures of her food. Oh there are so many special things about her you could nearly forget that she is fun, happy and passionate. Really, she only has a first name! And because this is not acceptable in our western standard IT-forms, she had to invent a last name for herself, calling herself K. Obviously this is a thing in the phillipines, having only a first name. 
I forgot to ask whether she always uses the same last name or if she invents different names. 
Well, she has that older sister vibe, making fun of you and caring at the same time you know? 

One giant - there is always one, right? ;) he is one of these admirable persons who have a crapload of work but still manages to smile all the time. He explained me my job in baby steps, with all the patience in the world and of course smiling. Definitely one of these people you work with and instantly ask yourself: why can’t I be that patient and kind? And next to that he is gun and whitty, so really easy to talk to, but he didn’t join the evening dinner rounds so I only got a work impression. 
But his work ways are really special. Until meeting him I hadn’t known that way of working really existed. Now that I know I have a chance to become that or a little more like it. I am jealous of the people in his team however, under his wing. After all, that would have been a team where I could have stayed in that job. 

Talking about that team: blimey did they make my day - and the day after and after. There was this understanding without words - you know they did the same job I did, but in spite of me they were actually trained to do so. And had an awesome boos who took care of them. Not only did they help me very much, but they shared their wisdom about surviving the day without rage attacks. Service desk agents have a shitty job. I changed my view on them totally, and I know for very sure: this is no job for me.  
People really treat common mailboxes like shit.    I think they subconsciously expect a robot working on the Mailbox as soon as they don’t have a visible name in the address anymore. However, what the guys told me was the trick about the „black list in your mind“. Service desk folks may not really be able to blacklist you, and they will fulfill your every request sooner or later. But if you piss them off enough, „as soon as possible“ changes meaning. What you want it to mean is: right after finishing this sentence. What it turns into: as soon as I am no longer upset when I read your mail. Your impolite, impatient mail that treats me like a robot, that is! 
Phew, THAT part of the job I am obviously not missing. 

But many other things. The dinner rounds. The breakfast rounds. The neat, clean hotel. How people saved me a seat when I came late. 
You get a glimpse in „among Hotel people“, but basically it was this international community that finds itself in projects. His particular community really made an effort. They sat together every evening for dinner and would chit - chat about anything but work. And they did that in the mornings with breakfast, too. We were chit-chatting about singing in the shower (yes, of course one of the gentlemen, who else). About motorbiking. About concerts from your favourite artist. About cars. And about omelettes that were so good, they want to propose to the chef. (That young woman who is the chef was very, very confused when that finally happened). 

And the pool of course. 
My gym had a branch over there, and it features the nicest pool. It is on the fifth floor with a glass window front showing the tower, this awesome beauty sparkling in the sunshine.  It is not too big so you don’t have dozens of crazy fast sport swimmers. And: it is a little bit warmer than the average gym pool. So basically, it is a spa. :D and I went there every evening after having dinner with the three gentlemen. 

You know how they say things keep getting better? I’m looking forward to a great times ahead then. 

No comments: